Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Jerry Thomas Project The Improved Brandy Cocktail


Today I made the Improved Brandy Cocktail which I don’t think was improved upon at all. Unlike the Brandy Cocktail that was rich and satisfying with beautiful vanilla undertones and a sweet cherry nose this drink bordered on medicinal. I made the drink three times, first using Lucid Absinthe – a French absinthe (the first on the U.S. market). I like mixing with it because it has a strong anise flavor and my favorite absinthe we carry, the Kübler; I like to save for sipping. The drink was a little rough with the Lucid, so I tried making it with Kübler – which changed the drink ever so slightly (I was hoping to get a bit of the creamy mouth feel you find in the Kübler) but I would like it with a bit more anise flavor so I would definitely add more. The finish created bumps on the tongue like peppermint. I would also squeeze more lemon oil in the drink than he recommended, as I would like the citrus to stand out a little more. I made the drink again, the third time using bourbon which was much more delicious, bordering on the flavor profile of a sazerac.

I’ve decided that it might be helpful to have Mr. Thomas’s recipes in ounces for those who want to make them at home. (Maybe a bit of a translation after more than one hundred years).

5 ounces of brandy
1 dash of Kübler absinthe
2 dashes of Maraschino Liqueur
3 dashes of simple syrup (I might leave this out)
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
1 large piece of lemon rind (squeeze to expel the oil into the drink)

Shake and strain into a martini glass
Squeeze the lemon oil into the cocktail after you’ve strained

1 comment:

  1. You might want to check out David Wondrich's Book "Imbibe!" for more information regarding the ingredients, amounts, and techniques of the 19th Century bar.

    First off, the phrase "wine glass" refers to a 2 oz glass which was used before jiggers became commonplace bar equipment.

    ReplyDelete